May 19, 2014
A: The Bethany College Guardian was established by students in 1869 and lasted until 1872. The Guardian was replaced with the Bethany Collegian by the Class of 1883. The Collegian served as the forerunner for today's Tower.
May 5, 2014
A: The first sport on Bethany’s campus was baseball. A baseball team began at Bethany in 1865, with a baseball diamond constructed behind Old Main in 1870.
April 14, 2014
A: On Nov. 1, 1841, 102 students enrolled in the first classes at Bethany College. Three years later, five students graduated with Bachelor of Arts degrees.
April 7, 2014
A: Cecil H. Underwood became Bethany’s president in May 1972. He had previously served as governor in 1956 at age 34. He served as Bethany’s president for three years, and two decades later, in 1996, he again was elected as West Virginia’s governor, making him both the youngest and oldest person to hold the office.
March 31, 2014
A: Bethany began a two-year program in domestic science in 1909. Among the courses offered were dressmaking, textiles, machine sewing and art needle work. Thirty-four women received certificates for the program.
March 24, 2014
A: W.K. Pendleton became the second president of Bethany on June 16, 1866, after Alexander Campbell’s death. Pendleton had served as acting president of the College as Campbell’s health declined, and he had also previously served as a professor, treasurer and vice president of the College. With the exception of Campbell, no other person in those early decades devoted more service to building, administering, financing and caring for the College.
March 17, 2014
A: In 1997, Jodi Jackfert broke the single season records for wins with 25, innings pitched with 211, complete games with 30, shutouts with 10, and games started at 32.
March 10, 2014
A: The Bethany College Alumni Society began June 23, 1846, by that year’s graduating class, with the purpose to rekindle the passion for alma mater, preserve and strengthen the bonds that united them as fellow students, and advance the interests of Bethany College.
March 3, 2014
A: Bethany College began admitting women in 1877, as a direct result of a fire that destroyed a portion of the female Pleasant Hill Seminary, just seven miles east of Bethany. The following year, Bethany advertised for the first time “Bethany College, Open to Male and Female on Equal Terms.”
February 24, 2014
A: From Bethany College’s founding in 1840 to Campbell’s death in 1866, he was never compensated for teaching or serving as president. He paid his own traveling expenses, gave personal loans to students, paid faculty out of his own pocket, and funded much of the College’s construction.
February 17, 2014
A: During the 2011-2012 season, the men went 25 - 4 and won the PAC regular season championship, the PAC tournament championship and made an appearance in the NCAA Tournament.
February 10, 2014
A: On Dec. 10, 1857, a fire burned the entire College to the ground. The 3,000-volume library, dormitory, classroom and manuscripts were destroyed. However, classes continued to be held and President Campbell began a campaign to raise money to rebuild the College, and six months later, construction began.
January 20, 2014
A: A system of comprehensive exams was developed and implemented by the administration and faculty of the College in 1933. Since then, nearly 11,000 Bethanians have continued the tradition and passed their comprehensive exams in order to proceed to graduation.
January 6, 2014
A: Set in 1969, the Men’s 400 Freestyle Relay record has stood for 45 years. Jeff Stuek ’70, John Murray ’70, Jim Brunson ’72 and Jim Veres ’70 swam the relay in 3:17.50.
December 16, 2013
A: The "Education for Responsible Citizenship" program, which began during the spring semester in 1960, garnered nationwide attention as the "the first down-to-earth, precinct level course in practical politics ever offered by an American college." President Gresham developed the program to give emphasis to both theoretical political science and practical politics. Dr. Gresham appointed C. William O'Neill, former governor of Ohio, as professor of Public Affairs. Gov. O'Neill gave a series of 16 lectures to the entire student body.
December 9, 2013
A: The Steam Plant was built in 1911 tafter President M.M. Cochran bought the land. The Steam Plant allowed the buildings on campus to have central heating.
November 19, 2013
A: Bethany, along with Allegheny, Thiel and Washington & Jefferson Colleges, joined the the Presidents' Athletic Conference (PAC) in 1958. The PAC, created in 1955, was composed of Western Reserve University, John Carroll, Case Institute of Technology, Eastern Michigan and Wayne State University.
October 7, 2013
A: Harlan Hall was dedicated on September 29, 1960 in honor of the wife of Campbell Allen Harlan. The three story structure was built as a dormitory for women.
September 23, 2013
A: Keith Schubert (1998-2002) scored 2,127 points in his career. In 105 games as a Bison, Schubert also tallied 711 rebounds, 44 blocked shots and 148 three pointers made.
September 16, 2013
A: The seal was designed in March of 1843 and it reads: Pharetram Veritas, Sed Arium Scientia donat. (Science furnishes the bow by which the arrows of Truth are directed).
September 9, 2013
A: In 1994, the Bison broke the record for most wins in a season with 18, the most consecutive wins with 13, the longest unbeaten streak at 14, most shutouts in a season at 13, and for the longest game played.
August 26, 2013
A: Alexander Campbell nominated four people in 1841 to be members of the faculty. They included Robert Richardson, M.D.; William K Pendleton; Andrew F. Ross; and Charles Stewart.
August 5, 2013
A: The Dream of Quiet Elegance was a plan presented by Earl W. Oglebay, in 1911, for the sole purpose of beautifying the town of Bethany. Oglebay and the trustees voted to raise $ 50,000 for this projet.
June 17, 2013
A: On May 12, 1905, the Bethany Orchestral Band performed for the first time. The group was formed on November 22, 1904 through the efforts of L.W. Barclay and several other musicians. They typically met and practiced at the home of E.C. Jobes.
June 10, 2013
A: Amy Harvilla Rocini holds the single season records for goals, assists and points for her outstanding season in 1999. Amy had 26 goals, 15 assists, and 67 points that year.
May 27, 2013
A: Men were expected to wear a coat and tie and women were expected to wear dresses for all formal Convocations in 1972.
May 20, 2013
A: During the spring semester of 1890, President McLean announced that Psychology would be a part of the curriculum. The addition was delayed from the 1870's.
May 13, 2013
A: The Phi Kappa Psi fraternity came to Bethany from Washington College, Pennsylvania. This fraternity came to Bethany due to the fact that the Neotrophian Literary Society was in turmoil and some of the members waged a political battle for society's control.
May 6, 2013
A: The David and Irene Steinman Hall of Fine Arts was created in September, 1969 and dedicated on October 12, 1969. The hall holds classrooms and faculty offices as well as Wailes Theatre which seats 230 people and was a gift from Lee B. Wailes, class of 1928.
April 29, 2013
A: Tyler Dillenger had a perfect fielding percentage for the Bison in 2011. He posted 101 put outs with no errors while playing in 34 games for the year.
April 22, 2013
A: In January of 1961, Bethany College joined the ten percent of the nation's schools with an honors program. The director of the program was Dr. Leroy Garrett, chair of the Philosophy Department.
April 15, 2013
A: Stuart Bracher scored 78 goals and had 185 career points throughout his career. He played for the bison from 1998-2001. Stuart also had 29 assists over his career at Bethany.
April 9, 2013
A: They are a series of lectures set up in 1955 by Oreon E. Scott class of 1892. It is a lecture series on the history and founders of Bethany College, and the work of the Disciples of Christ.
April 1, 2013
A: The seal was designed in March of 1843 and it reads "Pharetram Veritas, Sed Arium Scientia donat." (Science furnishes the bow by which the arrows of Truth are directed.)
March 25, 2013
A: Most students attending Bethany prior to the war came from Virginia and Kentucky. After the war, most students hailed from Ohio, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia.
March 18, 2013
A: "In memorium. Alexander Campbell, Defender of Faith. Once delivered to the Saints. Founder of Bethany College who bein dead yet speaketh by his numerous writings and holy example. Born in the County of Antrim, Ireland. Sept. 12, 1788; Died at Bethany, Va. March 4, 1866."
March 11, 2013
A: Phillips Hall was originally built in 1890. It was used to house 65 men and had a dining hall for 100 people.
March 4, 2013
A: In 1997, Jodi Jackfert '98 broke the single season records for wins with 25, innings pitched with 211, complete games with 30, shutouts with 10, and games started at 32.
February 25, 2013
A: During the 1898-99 school year, enrollment at Bethany College fell to just 53 students. During that time, Bethany was without a president and the trustees were searching for the right president, Henry S. Green chaired the faculty.
February 18, 2013
A: The first gymnasium was built on campus in 1913 however, it only stood for 2 years until it burned down on April 27, 1915. On June 8, 1915 a groundbreaking was held at the site of the original gymnasium for the new Irvin Gymnasium.
February 11, 2013
A: Amos Emerson Dolbear's experiments on Ohm's law, electromotive force, resistance, vibration, sound and the limits of audibility helped lead to the development of the telephone. Dolbear conducted his experiments on campus from 1867-1874.
February 4, 2013
A: Baseball, the first organized sport for students on campus, dates back to the early 1850's. After the Civil War ended in 1865, the Bethany baseball club was organized.
January 28, 2013
A: James Abraham Garfield, who received an honorary Master's of Arts degree from Bethany in 1861, served on Bethany's Board of Trustees from 1866-1881. Garfield, elected as the 20th President of the United States, was in office for only 200 days before being assassinated.
January 14, 2013
A: Campbell's last public appearance occurred on Sunday, Febuary 11, 1866. He was scheduled to preach but due to his frailty, vice president W. K. Pendleton persuaded Campbell not to continue.
January 7, 2013
A: Because of her love for Bethany and the fine arts, Mrs. Aleece Gresham, wife of President Perry E. Gresham (1953-72), presented a 50-bell carillon to the College in the winter of 1974. Placed in Old Main, the carillon is comprised of 25 Flemish and 25 harp bells. It is programmed to play seasonal music, strike the hours and sound the traditional Westminster chime.
December 17, 2012
A: Alexandria Campbellina Pendleton was an active member of the Bethany College faculty from 1882-1908. She was only the second professor, and first female, to receive the distinction of tenure. Her father William K. Pendleton was the first.
December 10, 2012
A: In 1974, Mary E. Scollins broke the record for 500 freestyle with a 5:31.60 time, the 1000 freestyle with a 11:25.10 time, the 200 butterfly with a 2:23.40 time, the 200 individual medley with a 2:21.00 time and the 400 individual medley with a 5:03.40 time.
December 3, 2012
A: The Alma Mater was written in 1937 by Jack Colburn Jr. '84 and put to Blair Burkhart's music in 1937. The original words were set to the tune of "The Old Oaken Bucket." Mr. Colburn dedicated the new song to Blair Burkhart.
November 26, 2012
A: Phi Alpha Theta is the Honors society for History. Bethany is the Mu Epsilon Chapter.
November 19, 2012
A: The Bethany College men’s basketball team is currently 3-3 all time versus Marshall University.
November 12, 2012
A: A lock of Alexander Campbell’s hair resides in the Bethany College Archives.
November 5, 2012
A: The creek that runs through Bethany is called the Buffalo Creek.
October 29, 2012
A: More students go to and come from Heidelberg University in Germany than any other program.
October 22, 2012
A: Bethany College Volleyball’s Jessica Zavatchen set the single-season assists record in 2009 (989), 2010 (1,392), and 2011 (1,468).
October 15, 2012
A: Harlan was named after Ivabelle Harlan and constructed in 1960. This currently serves as an all male dormitory which can house up to 68 Bethany students.
October 8, 2012
A: The third floor rooms were used as a high school. This is the beginning of what was later Bethany High School.
October 1, 2012
A: When Benedum Commons opened on March 24, 1969, it replaced a men's dining room in Bethany House and a women's dining room in Phillips Hall, allowing men and women students to dine together for the first time in Bethany's history.
September 24, 2012
A: The Bethany College women’s soccer team has won a total of five titles: 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, and 1999.
September 17, 2012
A: Morlan Hall is named after Dr. Halford J. Morlan. Dr. Morlan donated $300,000.00 in July 1962 toward the completion of a new residence hall on campus. Halford J. Morlan Residence Hall was dedicated on September 12, 1964 and could accommodate 200 students.
September 10, 2012
A: Decima Campbell was Alexander Campbell's tenth daughter. Decima literally means ten.
September 3, 2012
A: In the fall of 2011 The Tower became available online rather than in a print version.
August 27, 2012
A: The College owns more than 1,300 acres of land.
August 20, 2012
A: On December 13, 1867 Steward’s Inn the resident’s hall for students burned to the ground. No one was injured and all private property was saved. The building was 26 years old and well used.
August 13, 2012
A: The languages currently offered at Bethany College are French, Italian, German, Japanese, Spanish, and occasionally Arabic. Past languages have included Greek and Latin.
August 6, 2012
A: Former Bison Dave Wottle won the Gold Medal in the 800-run at the Summer Olympics in Munich.
July 30, 2012
A: In 1924 all athletes were considered amateurs and all subsidies were discontinued.
July 23, 2012
A: A grant from the Ford Foundation allowed Bethany to increase payroll in 1955. The grant provided enough money to increase faculty salaries by 4% each year for 10 years.
July 16, 2012
A: The first Alumni Society was organized by the class of 1846.
July 9, 2012
A: Desiree Finley holds records in the 1 m. voluntary diving, 1 m. optional diving, 1 m. diving, and 3 m. optional diving; all set in 2009.
July 2, 2012
A: “The Merry Masquers,” established in 1913, was the first drama group at Bethany College.
June 25, 2012
A: The project was completed in 1972. The Center currently holds the Gresham Inn and the Mountainside Conference Center.
June 18, 2012
A: Alexander Campbell's second wife's name was Selina Huntington Bakewell who he married on July 31, 1828, after the death of his previous wife Margaret in 1827.
June 11, 2012
A: The soccer field is referred to as "Hoag Field," named after Bethany graduate William "Bill" R. Hoag. Hoag served on Bethany's Board of Trustees and was awarded an Honorary Doctor of Humanities by Bethany College. After extensive renovations to the field with the help of Hoag, the field was dedicated to him in 1990.
June 4, 2012
A: Tell was the name of a newsletter that was sent to every Bethanian who was serving in the armed services or allied with the work effort. It contained news of the College, faculty, staff, and students.
May 28, 2012
A: Students were not allowed to have road signs, public markers, and the like unless they could prove legal ownership.
May 21, 2012
A: Teaching and learning form the mission of Bethany College. Central to this broad purpose is providing a liberal arts education for students, including the preparation of professionals, in an atmosphere of study, work, and service.
May 14, 2012
A: Pearl Mahaffey was a member of the faulty from 1908 until 1949 when she retired from teaching French and German. She was a member of the Board of Trustees until her death in 1970.
May 7, 2012
A: The restoration of Old Main including Commencement Hall was completed in 1984.
April 30, 2012
A: Women’s Varsity Field Hockey is being added to the athletics venue. Field hockey was a very successful varsity sport at Bethany in the late 1970’s to the mid-1980’s. The sport was dropped from the Bison athletic department following the 1989-90 school year.
April 23, 2012
A: The former name of Kirkpatrick Hall was Oglebay Hall of Agriculture. The building was renamed after its renovation in 1999.
April 16, 2012
A: Alexander Campbell had fourteen children between his two wives. Many of his decedents continue to study at Bethany College.
April 9, 2012
A: Shelley Cooper, class of ’95, was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2010-11 for her outstanding success on the softball diamond.
April 2, 2012
A: Morlan Hall was first built as a residence hall in 1964. It was a women’s residents hall. Currently it holds professor offices and the Bethany Beanery in Morlan Lounge.
March 26, 2012
A: Students engaged in a discussion about abolition, a topic banned by the college, for this reason they were expelled after a confrontation with other students.
March 19, 2012
A: Local holding of the T. W. Phillips Library, including; books, periodicals, newspapers, audiovisuals, and archival materials, number 250,000 items.
March 12, 2012
A: Bethany baseball coach Rick Carver made an immediate impact when he began coaching in 1991, coaching his Bison to a PAC championship victory in his first year as head coach.
March 5, 2012
A: The first English Professor at Bethany College was W. W. Eaton in 1841.
February 27, 2012
A: Five U.S presidents have visited the campus of Bethany College. The presidents include; James A. Garfield, John F. Kennedy, Richard Nixon, Gerald R. Ford, and Lyndon B. Johnson.
February 20, 2012
A: The Bethany men’s basketball team has currently won a total of 13 PAC championships in the following years: 1961-62, 1963-64, 1965-66, 1966-67, 1967-68, 1977-78, 1981-82, 2000-01, 2001-02, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2007-08 and 2010-11.
February 13, 2012
A: The Lone Grave is located on Greek Letter Hill near Peace Point above Castleman’s Run. It is the grave of Frances Murphy born in 1831 and died in 1850 at the age of 19. She is said to have died of a broken heart caused by a faithless lover.
February 6, 2012
A: The First broadcast was of Professor John Taylor discussing his fall semester in England on February 18, 1976.
January 30, 2012
A: The first non-athlete to be inducted into Bethany's Hall of Fame was Coach & Athletic Director John J. Knight for his time at Bethany from 1930-1970. At one time or another, Knight coached football, basketball, track, and baseball.
January 23, 2012
A: The 1971-1972 school year was the first year students were allowed to bring cars to campus. Cars were considered a special privilege, violators of rules faced disciplinary actions.
January 16, 2012
A: While there are many measurements for the tower, it is 143 feet tall. Its official name is Robert Walden Campbell Tower.
January 9, 2012
A: In 1944, Bethany’s football team defeated Ohio State University with a score of 28-6. Bethany has also played other Division I schools, including West Virginia University, University of Pittsburgh, and Ohio University.
January 3, 2012
A: Old Main and Campbell mansion are the only Bethany building recognized by National Historic Landmarks Program. Old Main became a National Historic Landmark on June 21, 1990, while Campbell Mansion was listed on April 19, 1994.
December 27, 2011
A: Alumni Field House was the original name of the Hummel Field House. The field house was constructed in 1948. When the field house was created, male and female athletics were separated; men attended the Alumni Field House while women attended Irvin Gymnasium. In 1990, the field house became Hummel Field House.
December 19, 2011
A: The Buffalo Seminary was founded in 1818 by Alexander Campbell. The Buffalo Seminary was an all-boy school held in Campbell Mansion. Campbell moved his family into their basement and opened his home to the school. The Buffalo Seminary lasted for approximately five years. Today, the Buffalo Seminary has been established to assist in the continuing education of all orders of ministry (ordained, licensed and lay).
December 12, 2011
A: Phillips Hall was completed in 1930. The building was an addition to the original Phillips Hall which was a gift from Thomas W. Phillip. Phillips Hall is a traditional all-female residence hall located in the center section of campus. Phillips' residents live in traditional dormitory-style rooms. Besides housing a large number of female students, Phillips is home to Renner Too, Maxwell's, and Phillips Lounge.
December 5, 2011
A: The Green & White Club was established in 2008 to enable Bethany to provide continual upgrades to our facilities therefore attracting the top Division III student-athletes in the nation. The Green & White Club will establish support systems enabling student-athletes to develop into well-rounded, responsible and successful individuals and encourage student-athletes to assume leadership roles on campus and in the community.
November 28, 2011
A: The construction of Old Main began in 1858. Old Main replaced College Proper, which burned down on December 10, 1857. Old Main is believed to be situated slightly north of the site of College Proper.
November 21, 2011
A: The Bethany College football team has won the Presidents’ Athletic Conference Championship four times - in 1965, 1966, 1975, and 1980.
November 14, 2011
A: Strangers Hall was added to the left side of Campbell Mansion in 1840. This part of the mansion is known for its 19th century French scenic wallpaper, as well as the extensive list of visitors who stayed in the hall, including James A. Garfield and Jefferson Davis.
November 7, 2011
A: In the last 171 years, Bethany College has had 19 presidents. They include Alexander Campbell (1840-66), William K. Pendleton (1866-87), William H. Woolery (1887-89), Archibald McLean (1889-91), Hugh McDiarmid (1891-96), Barton C. Hagerman (1897-98), James M. Kersey (1899-1901), Thomas E. Cramblet (1902-19), Cloyd Goodnight (1919-32), Joseph A. Serena (1933-34), Wilbur H. Cramblet (1934-52), Perry E. Gresham (1953-72), Cecil H. Underwood (1972-75), William E. Tucker (1976-79), Todd H. Bullard (1980-88), D. Duane Cummins (1988-2002), Patricia L. Poteat (2002-04), G.T. “Buck” Smith (2004-07), and Scott D. Miller (2007-present).
October 31, 2011
A: The Millennial Harbinger was a journal published by Alexander Campbell. Campbell began publishing the journal in 1830 to express his views on Christianity and to promote the Disciples of Christ. Later, the journal included information and views on education. Today, Bethany College uses the name in their own annual literature and art magazine, The Harbinger. The Bethany Memorial Church also uses the name in their monthly newsletter, The Little Harbinger.
October 24, 2011
A: In 2010, the Bethany women’s volleyball team made their first trip in school history to the ECAC Tournament. They defeated Stevenson at home in the quarterfinals, rallying from a 2-0 deficit to beat Swarthmore in the semifinals, and sweeping past Saint Vincent in the match to claim the 2010 ECAC South Tournament Championship.
October 17, 2011
A: In 1905, Andrew Carnegie provided a $20,000 grant to Bethany for the construction of an academic library. The former library is now known as Cramblet Hall.
October 10, 2011
A: The Bethany football team has defeated Thiel College the most with 30 wins. The first defeat came in 1917 with a score of 63-0. The most recent win was in the 2010 football season. Bethany won with a score of 41-7.
October 3, 2011
A: College Proper and Steward’s Hall were the original two buildings at Bethany College. College Proper served as a location for classes, while Steward’s Hall was a dormitory for students (which at the time were only males).
September 26, 2011
A: Phi Lambda Chi, Kappa Delta, Moo Moo Moo, and Gamma Chi all previously existed at Bethany College. Phi Lambda Chi became Kappa Delta and both Moo Moo Moo and Gamma Chi merged to become Phi Mu. Kappa Delta no longer exists at Bethany College, while Phi Mu remains an active sorority.
September 19, 2011
A: In 1919, students rebelled against the order for compulsory military training. As the strike continued, Bethany president T.E. Cramblet declared that if eligible students did not enroll in the training programs, they would face expulsion. All but seven of the 498 students enrolled in the spring semester joined in the strike, refusing to enroll in the programs or to attend classes unless the mandate for enrollment in the programs was reversed.
September 12, 2011
A: The Oglebay Gates were constructed in 1910 with funding provided by Earl W. Oglebay. In 1987, the entrance was restored with a major gift from Robert W. Ewing, Jr., as well as with the assistance of 13 other people.
September 6, 2011
A: The Bethany College football team began in 1894. During the first season, Bethany played a total of five games. The Bison had a record of two wins, two losses, and one tie.
August 29, 2011
A: Assistant Professor of English Wiley Cash has signed a two-book deal with HarperCollins. His novel, “A Land More Kind Than Home,” will be published in coming years.
August 22, 2011
A: Bethany opened for females to attend classes in 1877. In 1878, females were admitted to Bethany as matriculated students.
August 15, 2011
A: Society Hall originally stood to the right of Old Main. In 1879, a fire destroyed Society Hall. Oglebay Hall of Agriculture, now named Kirkpatrick Hall of Life Sciences, was built to replace Society Hall in 1911-1912.
August 8, 2011
A: Both the Communications and Media Arts Department and Visual and Performing Arts Department have three honor societies. The Communications and Media Arts department consists of Alpha Epsilon Rho, The Bethany Chapter of the Society for Collegiate Journalists, and the Epsilon Chi Chapter of Kappa Pi. The Visual and Performing Arts department consists of Alpha Psi Omega, Kappa Pi, and Sigma Tau Epsilon.
August 1, 2011
A: Originally, the Grace Phillips Johnson Arts Center was known as Irvin Gymnasium. This building was completed in 1919. The facility featured a gymnasium floor, swimming pool and an indoor track. In 1984, the building was converted to Grace Phillips Johnson Arts Center.
July 18, 2011
A: Literary groups were the only societies originally at Bethany College. They included the American Literary Institute (1841), the Neotrophian Literary Society (1841), the Adelphian Society (1852), and the D’Ossolian Literary Society (1880).
July 11, 2011
A: Patricia L. Poteat served as president from 2002-2004. She was the first and so far the only female president of Bethany College.
July 5, 2011
A: Cardiac Hill leads to what is known as Greek Hill. Originally, it was a steep hill but has since been replaced with steps.
June 27, 2011
A: Alexander and Margaret Campbell’s fifth child, Amanda, was the first person to be buried in the cemetery. The cemetery was established in 1820 because of Amanda’s death. The Campbell family decided to call the cemetery "God’s Acre."
June 20, 2011
A: The 2010-11 academic year was the first year for the Bethany College men’s varsity lacrosse team. Men’s lacrosse previously existed at Bethany as a club sport.
June 13, 2011
A: The construction of Cramblet hall began in April 1906 and was completed June 9, 1908. The building has been used as an academic building, a museum, and a library. Today, Cramblet Hall is home to the McCann Learning Center, as well as the Registrar’s Office, the Cashier’s Window, and other offices.
June 6, 2011
A: The Theta Chapter of Zeta Tau Alpha was founded on March 9, 1905. Zeta Tau Alpha was the second sorority to come to Bethany.
May 30, 2011
A: Rachel Schafer '03 owns all four records with 63 wine, 463 strikeouts, 29 shutouts and a career ERA of 1.08.
May 23, 2011
A: Campbell Mansion, Old Main, Christman Manor at Pendleton Heights, the Old Meeting House, and the Delta Tau Delta Founders’ House were all registered with the National Register of Historic Places throughout the 1970s. Both Campbell Mansion and Old Main were added to the register in 1970. Christman Manor at Pendleton Heights followed in 1975. The Old Meeting House was added to the register in 1976. Lastly, the Delta Tau Delta Founders’ House was added in 1979.
May 16, 2011
A: The first five professors of Bethany College included Alexander Campbell - Professor of Moral Philosophy; William K. Pendleton - Professor of Natural Philosophy, Astronomy, and Natural History; Robert Richardson - Professor of Chemistry, Geology, and the kindred Sciences; A. F. Ross - Professor of Ancient Languages and Ancient History; and Charles Stewart - Professor of Mathematics.
May 9, 2011
A: The first Commencement ceremony at Bethany college took place at the end of the 1841-42 academic year. However, this ceremony was not with graduating students. The first full Commencement ceremony took place in 1844. The students that attended the 1844 Commencement were the first students able to receive a Bachelor of Arts degree from the Bethany.
May 2, 2011
A: The Oreon E. Scott award is given annually to the graduating senior who has achieved the highest academic standing over a four-year period of study. The donor of this award was a long-time Bethany trustee and a graduate of the class of 1892.
April 25, 2011
A: There are currently seven professors at Bethany who are alumni. They include W. Randolph Cooey, Gary H. Kappel, Kenneth L. Morgan, Luke L. Hardt, Kosmas M. Mourtatidis, Adam C. Fletcher and Janice Garrison Shepard. Bethany College also has distinguished lecturers and other faculty members who are graduates of Bethany.
April 18, 2011
A: The W. Kirk Woolery Award is given to the fraternity with the highest grade-point average, while the Anna Ruth Bourne Award is given to the sorority with the highest grade-point average. Each award is represented by a cup which is presented each semester. The group winning the cup for four semesters is presented with a smaller replica as a permanent trophy.
April 11, 2011
A: The Robert C. Byrd Health and Wellness Center was originally a swimming pool. In 1994, Thomas Phillips Johnson Health & Recreation Center was built, creating the John J. Knight Natatorium. The old swimming pool was no longer needed and the building was converted to the Health and Wellness Center.
April 4, 2011
A: Upsilon Pi Epsilon is an international honor society that recognizes excellence and innovation in the field of computer science. Membership is limited to students who are candidates for a degree in computer science. Members must display academic achievement, reputation, and creative abilities which deserve recognition and which enhance the stature of the organization.
March 28, 2011
A: John Brown, Alexander Campbell’s father-in-law, sold Campbell Mansion and the surrounding 350 acres on March 27, 1815 for $1.00. When Campbell and his wife Margaret discussed moving to Ohio, Brown offered Campbell the property to keep his daughter close to him.
March 21, 2011
A: The current Bethany Bridge was built in 1998. This bridge connects the main campus to the Thomas Phillips Johnson Health & Recreation Center. The Bethany Bridge is one of the main focal points when entering the college.
March 14, 2011
A: On November 1, 1841, the first day of classes at Bethany College, there were 100 students. At that time, only male students were permitted to attend college.
March 7, 2011
A: Ida Darsie was the first female graduate of Bethany College. She graduated as a member of the class of 1880.
February 28, 2011
A: On March 2, 1840, Bethany’s charter was granted, creating Bethany College. The college did not open for classes until November 1, 1841.
February 21, 2011
A: In the fall of 1858, Jacob S. Lowe, Richard H. Alfred, Henry K. Bell, William R. Cunningham, Alexander C. Earle, John L. N. Hunt, John C. Johnson, and Eugene Tarr founded Delta Tau Delta.
February 14, 2011
A: The Phillips name appears more on Bethany buildings than any other name. Those buildings include the Grace Phillips Johnson Visual Arts Center, Phillips Hall, Thomas Phillips Johnson Recreation Center, T.W. Phillips Memorial Library and the Thomas P. Johnson Jr. College Center.
February 7, 2011
A: Sigma Nu’s original house was built in 1907 located to the right and rear of the then Oglebay Hall. On June 19, 1927, the house was completely destroyed in a fire. Sigma Nu then moved into the Old Methodist Episcopal Church.
January 31, 2011
A: When Bethany College opened in 1840, there were five schools: Sacred History and Moral Philosophy; Ancient Language; Mathematics and Astronomy; Natural, Intellectual, and Political Philosophy; Chemistry and Belle Letters.
January 24, 2011
A: Bethany opened their season in 1948 against West Virginia University. The Bethany men’s basketball team played WVU seven times between 1907 and 1931. During those years, the Bison’s record against WVU was 4-3. Since then, Bethany has played West Virginia University 10 times, losing every game.
January 17, 2011
A: Percy B. Cochran Hall. Begun in 1910 as a memorial to the son of M.M. Cochran, the building served as a dormitory until 1971. In 1975 it was remodeled into faculty offices and seminar rooms. Closed again in 2001, it was completely renovated in 2009-10 and re-opened as a dormitory with suite style living in the fall of 2010.
January 10, 2011
A: In 1955, Scott, a member of the class of 1892, endowed the lectureship. The first lecture was given on March 1, 1956 by American historian Arthur Schlesinger, Jr., followed a month later by another lecture by Roland Bainton, biographer of Martin Luther. The lecture series and ministers' workshop continue to this day.
January 3, 2011
A: Lorne W. Barclay, class of 1906, served in a number of capacities in the Boy Scouts of America, which celebrated its centennial in 2010. His work included developing educational programs, serving as chief Scout executive, and international outreach which gained him the Legion of Merit bestowed by the government of France.
December 27, 2010
A: The original structure was built in the Federalist style in keeping with the style of College Proper. That building was destroyed by fire in 1857, and Old Main was constructed in the Gothic style. To bring the house into harmony with Old Main, the facade was redone in the Gothic style in 1872.
December 20, 2010
A: The Order of the Bronze Bison was created in 1968 to recognize those who have made provision for a gift to Bethany College in their long-range financial planning through their wills or through some other form of planned giving. The first member of the Order was Miss Pearl Mahaffey, long-time professor and revered Bethanian.
December 13, 2010
A: Alexander Campbell, president from the inception of the college in 1840 until his death in 1866, holds the record for longest tenure. Joseph Serena holds the record for shortest tenure, September 1933 to June 1934. Other long serving presidents (15+ years) included W.K. Pendleton, Thomas and Wilbur Cramblet and Perry Gresham.
December 6, 2010
A: During the 1903-04 academic year. The new electric plant had just been completed making the installation possible. The clock cost $1500 and was a gift from Earl W. Oglebay, class of 1869 and a very generous benefactor of the college throughout his life.
November 29, 2010
A: January 1, 1945. Dr. Harry Ice, class of 1910, was the first director of the program. The program celebrates it's 65th anniversary this year.
November 22, 2010
A: Delta Epsilon Pi is a local sorority that was founded in 2007. It is the youngest sorority on campus and is located in a branch of one of the residence halls.
November 15, 2010
A: In 1994 Bethany’s men’s soccer team won the national championship against Johns Hopkins, 1-0 in overtime. Pat Ricci scored the game winning goal. In 2004 the national title team was inducted into Bethany’s Athletic Hall of Fame.
November 8, 2010
A: Delta Tau Delta was established in 1858. The chapter has been inactive twice during the past 150 years, but is again active on campus. In 2008, Delts from across the country came to Bethany to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the fraternity's founding.
November 1, 2010
A: In 1984 the Bison Soccer team scored 16 goals against Washington & Jefferson, the highest single game goal total in the school's history.
October 25, 2010
A: Alexander Campbell was accused in 1847 and spent 10 days in a prison in Glasgow. Campbell was falsely sued for libel and for his views on slavery. All charges against him were dismissed, and his persecutor fled to France for protection.
October 18, 2010
A: Vicki Hill posted 486 kills in 1987. Hill, from Monroeville, PA, majored in politics and public policy at Bethany where she was also a member of Phi Mu sorority.
October 11, 2010
A: The Phi chapter of Phi Kappa Tau was founded in 1923. Phi Kappa Tau is currently the second youngest fraternity chartered on the Bethany campus.
October 4, 2010
A: Robert McCann graduated with a B.A. in economics in 1980. He is the CEO of UBS Wealth Management Americas, as well as the vice chairman of the Board of Trustees at Bethany College. The McCann Learning Center in Cramblet Hall and the McCann Student Investment Fund were established through generous gifts from the McCann family.
September 27, 2010
A: Dave Sims is a two-time Emmy award winner. Sims has also been broadcasting N.F.L. games since 2001. Sims also spent seven years as the voice of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
September 20, 2010
A: September 17, 2009. Bethany College underwent major renovations tot he athletic facility in the summer of 2008. The renovations were completed under the presidency of Dr. Scott. D. Miller. The Bison will again play under the lights when they take on Geneva College on September 25, 2010.
September 13, 2010
A: Hiram J. Lester who joined the faculty in 1965 and retired in 1988, moved to California where his bid for a seat in the legislature held by Judith Herndon fell short.
September 6, 2010
A: Cecil H. Underwood, who served as Bethany's President from 1972-1975, appeared on the game show To Tell the Truth after he was elected in 1956 as West Virginia's youngest Governor. (He was later elected in 1996 as West Virginia's oldest Governor.)
August 30, 2010
A: Gina DeRubbo, who led Bethany to five PAC titles and five post-season appearances in seven years. DeRubbo's record was 131-57, with her best year in 2003-04 at 23-5.
August 23, 2010
A: Alexander Campbell was noted in Ripley's Believe It or Not. He is celebrated for his strong work ethic and Christian beliefs. Among the comments in the entry: "He amassed a large fortune as a publisher, farmer and businessman and was the founder and president of Bethany College."
August 16, 2010
A: The Beta Gamma Chapter of Alpha Sigma Phi was founded at Bethany in 1929. Alpha Sigma Phi is currently the youngest fraternity chartered at Bethany.
August 9, 2010
A: Missy Miller, from Rockwood, Pa., played for Bethany from 1992-95. Miller posted 74 goals, 23 assists and a total of 171 points.
August 2, 2010
A: Roy S. Adkins received his B.A. from Bethany College in 1924 after playing for the Bison for three years. Adkins later beacame Vice President and Sales Manager of the Nrth American Cement Corporation in New Jersey.
July 26, 2010
A: Established in 1939 the Beta Nu chapter of Phi Mu, is the youngest of the national sororities currently active on Bethany's campus.
July 19, 2010
A: Bob Orr, graduate of `75, was born in 1953 in Wheeling, W.V. Orr graduated from Bethany with a B.A. in communications. Orr has covered transport beat for CBS in Washington since 1993.
July 12, 2010
A: William K. Pendleton, Bethany's 2nd President, was elected as a Senatorial Representative in West Virginia Constitutional Convention in 1872. Pendleton had succeeded Alexander Campbell as president in 1866 and served as president until 1887.
July 5, 2010
A: Bethany participated in the program known as V-12 program. Of the 131 colleges and universities that were a part of this national program, Bethany was the only one located in West Virginia. On July 1, 1943, 335 men arrived at Bethany to begin the program's first term.
June 28, 2010
A: Dr. John Niederhuber, class of 1960, has dedicated four decades of his life to the treatment and study of cancer. After Bethany, Niederhuber graduated Ohio State University School of Medicine.
June 21, 2010
A: In 1960, John J. Knight was elected president of the NAIA. Knight served as Athletic Director, as well as coach for the Bethany Bison football program for thirty-one years. Knight also coached basketball and baseball and taught Physical Education.
June 14, 2010
A: Beta Theta Pi has been an integral part of the College's history since its establishment as Bethany's Psi chapter on December 8, 1860 - just 20 years after the founding of the College itself and only a year before the start of the Civil War.
June 7, 2010
A: Eight college students met in what is today, the Delta Tau Delta Founders' House on Main Street in 1858 and created the now national fraternity, Delta Tau Delta.
May 31, 2010
A: Paul B. Chewning, class of '75. After leaving Bethany, Chewning served at Drake University, West Virginia University, Penn State, the Council for the Advancement and Support of Education and the West Virginia Independent Colleges and Universities organization.
May 24, 2010
A: It was established in 1979, when 10 athletes were inducted, representing members of classes stretching from 1923 to 1950.
May 17, 2010
A: The Delta chapter of Alpha Xi Delta was founded in 1903. Alpha Xi Delta is the oldest sorority chartered on the Bethany campus.
May 10, 2010
A: It has served as a meeting hall, gymnasium, dormitory and two-story auditorium with classrooms and studios on the ground floor and an auditorium, stage and balcony above. In 1983-84, it was restored to its original configuration and serves as a venue for concerts, convocations, and other special events. It has also become a popular venue for weddings among Bethany alumni.
May 3, 2010
A: Moo Moo Moo was founded in 1923. It was an honorary pep organization with the purpose of maintaining and furthering college spirit, as well as improving student morale.
April 26, 2010
A: Keith Schubert holds the record for the most career points with a total of 2,127. Schubert played at Bethany from 1998-2002 and holds multiple records. Other records included: most points scored in a single season with 759, free throws made during one season at 184 and the most points in one game at 45.
April 19, 2010
A: Archibald McLean, Bethany's fourth president from 1889-1891, became secretary of the Foreign Christian Missionary Society in 1881, and by 1920 he had commissioned 358 men and women to the service. McLean laid the foundation for the foreign missions program.
April 12, 2010
A: A copy of this pattern can be found in the Hermitage, the home of Andrew Jackson, in Nashville, Tennessee. The Campbell Mansion houses furnishings of the early 1800's many of which can be identified with the life of Campbell and his family.
April 6, 2010
A: In 1978, the brothers of Beta Theta Pi broke the then current "Guinness Book of World Record" standard with a 75-hour long basketball game. The members were allotted a 5-minute break every hour which could be stockpiled for sleep and meals.
March 29, 2010
A: Frances McDormand, class of 1979, earned her BA in Theater at Bethany. She then attended Yale University School of Drama, later winning an Oscar in the hit movie "Fargo".
March 22, 2010
A: Wrestling with God, a film that conveys the spirit and inspiration of Alexander Campbell as he struggled to implement his faith in the day-to-day world. Paul Mercier portrayed Campbell. David Ackroyd, Bill Hayes, his wife Susan Seaforth Hayes and Allison Gregory also starred. Local residents, students and faculty also appear in the film.
March 8, 2010
A: Amos Emerson Dolbear, who came to Bethany in 1868, conducted experiments with the transmission of voice communication via electrical signal and a vibrating membrane on the Bethany campus. Dolbear's suit against Bell was unsuccessful.
March 1, 2010
A: The tower on Old Main was given its official name on March 2, 1978. The name given to the tower was Campbell Tower named after Robert Walden Campbell, a relative to the founder of Bethany College Alexander Campbell.
February 22, 2010
A: The Bethany men’s basketball team has defeated Thiel College more than any other school that Bethany has faced. The current record against Thiel is 105-41. In school history Bethany has faced over 175 different teams.
February 15, 2010
February 8, 2010
A: Running back Demrey Brandon attended Bethany from 1969-72 where he posted 2,083 rushing yards before signing a contract with the Green Bay Packers. Although he never made it into the starting lineup, he brought recognition to Bethany and the struggling Presidents' Athletic Conference (PAC).
February 1, 2010
A: Alexander Campbell was nominated in 1960. The Hall of Fame is located at New York University and has less than 200 members. Among the nominators for Campbell were; Dr. Perry E. Gresham, Bethany’s president at the time; then U.S. Senator Lyndon B. Johnson, later Vice President and President of the U.S.; and Dr. Arthur W. Schlesinger, Jr., Pulitzer Prize winning author and professor of History at Harvard University.