|Senator John F. Kennedy speaking with Professors Miss Pearl Mahaffey and Donald McGavran during his visit to campus on Tuesday, April 19, 1960. Miss Mahaffey arrived at Bethany in 1908. After leaving
in 1918, Miss Mahaffey returned to Bethany in 1922 to teach Foreign Languages until her retirement in 1949. She continued to teach part-time for another 10 years and served on the Board of Trustees from 1949 until 1970.
|The Oglebay Gates, pictured in 1924, are the focal point of traditions at both Matriculation and Baccalaureate and were given to Bethany in 1910 by Earl W. Oglebay. Designed by Wheeling architect, Edward Franzheim, the gates were designed and built to reflect the Gothic theme of Old Main. The gift of the Gates came just seven years after Oglebay gave the gift of the tower clock in 1903.|
|In 1940, the ninety-ninth annual commencement exercises were held in Commencement Hall. Dedicated in 1871, Commencement Hall was used as a gymnasium from 1890 to 1903. In 1903, it was converted into the Norman A. Phillips Dormitory for Men. In 1924, the hall was restored and an auditorium was added on the upper level. Between 1982 and 1984 it was finally restored to its original form with the second floor that had been added when it became a dormitory and later converted for use as an auditorium was removed at that time.|
|Baseball, Bethany’s first and oldest recognized sport, appeared on the Bethany Campus 150 years ago, in 1865. A baseball diamond was constructed behind Old Main in 1870.|
|The graduating class of 1890 which included Edgar Odell Lovett, one of the most outstanding graduates of the time. He completed his first doctorate at the Univ. of Virginia 1895 and his second in mathematics at the Univ. of Leipzig, Germany. In 1897 he became an instructor at Princeton University. In 1908, he was elected the first president of Rice Institute (now Rice University) in Houston, Texas. When he retired in 1946, Rice had become one of the most prestigious scientific schools in the United States.|
|The snake dance was a Bethany tradition performed every time the football team won a game. Seen here is the snake dance winding its way through campus after a Bethany win over Salem by a score of 6-0. The dance started behind the Norman A. Phillips Dormitory for Men pictured in the background. Now known as Commencement Hall, it was a dormitory from 1903-1924.|
|Old Main in 1891. The construction of Old Main began in 1858 after College Proper burned down on December 10, 1857. Old Main is believed to be situated slightly north of the site of College Proper. Old Main was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1970 and was recognized on June 21, 1990 by National Historic Landmarks Program
as a National Historic Landmark.
|President Perry E. Gresham (center) being initiated into Moo Moo Moo during Homecoming Weekend 1953. An honorary pep club, Moo Moo Moo was organized in 1923 with a mission to “stir up spirit” at athletic events. The club had a dress code of a bathrobe and a goofy hat, and members were called “bulls” with pledging freshmen known as “calves.”||
Bethany College students are pictured on NBC’s General Electric College Bowl in April, 1965. The Bethany College team traveled to New York to compete against the University of Wisconsin. Unfortunately, Bethany lost the match. This was during the presidency of Perry Gresham, who began the “Bethany Plan” and January Term, as his goal was to focus on the liberal arts education at Bethany.