Situated on a hilltop overlooking the scenic campus of Bethany College, Pendleton Heights is the oldest building on the college’s campus. Through the years, Pendleton Heights has been home to Bethany College Presidents and faculty, serving as a welcome venue for dignitaries such as U.S. Presidents, Governors, and Congressmen.
Constructed between 1841-42, Pendleton Heights was the home of Bethany’s second president, William Kimbrough Pendleton (1817-99). Pendleton is given credit for the designs and plans for Pendleton Heights. During the Civil War years, Pendleton Heights served as a stop on the Underground Railroad. The structure had Gothic architectural additions made in 1872, giving the residence similar details to that of Old Main. The residence also underwent its first renovation in 1872. These renovations included lightning rods, a slate roof, and new bay windows.
Upon the retirement of William Pendleton in 1887, an agreement was reached for the college to purchase the home. From 1887 to 1889 the home served as a boarding house for ladies as well as a home for the president and faculty. Since that time, Pendleton Heights has served as the traditional home of Bethany's presidents but by 2002, Pendleton Heights was in need of much repair. From 2002 until late 2007, Bethany Presidents resided at Hibernia, located two blocks from the campus on Main Street.
Private funding and a grant provided for extensive renovation of the 9,340 square foot, 20-room historical residence during the 2007-08 academic year. On December 27, 2007, Dr. Scott D. Miller and his family became the first presidential family to call Pendleton Heights home since D. Duane Cummins, the 16th president of Bethany College.