The ceremonial mace of Bethany College was given as a gift of the class of 1961. Created by Gorham Silverworks of Providence, Rhode Island the mace is made of rosewood and brass and is 40 inches long. The mace of Bethany holds the seal at the top and is used at least 6 times over the course of the academic year at formal convocations, baccalaureate and commencement. The mace during processions of the academic party is the last item to enter before the president who walks alone at the end of the processional. There are exceptions to this. One is when a President or Vice President of the United States is present; they are escorted by the college president behind the mace. Second is when Baccalaureate services were held in the church, the mace would remain in at the entrance of the church, until the party exited. Finally is during a presidential inauguration. The Chair of the Board of Trustees escorts the president-elect with the former presidents and emeriti presidents all behind the mace bearer.
Bethany’s Presidential Medallion that is worn by the President of the College at all formal occasions depicts the college seal. First worn during the administration of Perry E. Gresham, the medallion gives honor to the many people who have served Bethany College. The seal was designed under the instruction of one of Bethany’s first faculty members Dr. Robert Richardson. The final design was accepted by the Board of Trustees, and today the seal can be seen in many aspects of daily life at Bethany College, including etched in the stained glass windows in historic Commencement Hall. The medallion as well as the mace was created by Gorham Silverworks in Providence, Rhode Island.
The college seal was designed by Dr. Robert Richardson. Dr. Richardson was chosen for this endeavor due to his broad knowledge of classical languages and culture. During the months of February and March of 1843, Richardson contemplated a design that would be suitable for college such as Bethany.
Richardson’s final result was a circle depicting two humans. Representing Truth and Science, the two figures were drawn with one holding a quiver of arrows and the other receiving a bow. Dr. Richardson chose the Latin phrase “Pharetram Veritas, sed arcum Scientia donat.” This is translated to say “Science furnishes the bow by which the arrows of truth are directed”. Later in 1843 Richardson’s design was approved by the Board of Trustees and became the official college seal. Still used to this day the seal is affixed to each diploma granted by Bethany College and serves as a reminder of the dedications of the college.