The Communications and Media Arts Department stresses a hands-on learning experience while holding students to high academic standards. Communications majors at Bethany College often devote more than 400 clock hours either working on staff or leading our campus media and clubs.
Students majoring in Communications choose from one of the following areas of emphasis: Integrated Media and Marketing, Digital Media and Production, Graphics, Sports Communication.
The Communications and Media Arts Department also offers a minor in Communications.
The Communications program at Bethany College is designed to achieve the following goals for its students:
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of mass media and human communication principles, processes, and practices.
- Be able to develop, conduct, report, and evaluate communication research.
- Demonstrate a proficiency in invention, construction, and delivery of oral and written communication.
- Apply communication theory and critical thinking in a variety of communication settings.
- Interpret the role of media and other communication technologies in a culturally diverse world.
- Analyze legal and ethical responsibilities of communicators in a culturally diverse world.
- Value the roles and functions of effective and creative communication in one's personal, social, and work life.